Thursday 17 January 2013

The joys of a sew-a-long and a neat collar!

We had our first virtual sew-a-long on Tuesday evening from 19.00 - 20.00 - and I think it was brilliant! 

An hour just wasn't long enough. So next week we'll do it from 19.00 - 21.00. 

It was a very simple idea - at 19.00 on Tuesday - we (fellow LWYW challengers) 'checked in' on facebook to say hello and what we were working on. Then we went away and worked on it - some posted photos and Joelle was very kindly 'on hand' to offer any dressmaking advice. 

Which I needed! 

It meant I was able to sort out my collar on the nightshirt  It had gone a bit 'weird' and I wasn't quite sure what to do about it..So at the start of the sew-a-long I posted a photo of the collar and asked for some advice. Here's what it looked like:

Messy interfacing on the collar - (before)
Then both Joelle and Sue advised I needed to 'clip my seams' and press them - so off I went to do that. I actually cut out a fair amount - it made a HUGE difference. I pressed it then and it was flat! Hurrah. 

Then seeing as I hadn't created a hem - I used a fancy stitch to sew it in place....which looks like this!

A neat collar! 
Am so chuffed with how it's looking now! I have also sewn up the side seams and chosen my buttons. Next is to make the sleeve cuffs, make the button holes, add the buttons - then ta dah!

Buttons for the nightshirt
The buttons I've chosen from the massive tin I was given are smaller than the ones shown on the pattern - but I liked the colours and think they will work (hopefully). I do need to find my button foot now though!

From what I could see - everyone who took part in the sew-a-long got something out of it! So I'd say Sew-a-longs rock!

To see what everyone else has been up to - visit the Facebook page here!  Some really great things happening! 

And of course the pinterest page to see what had been made so far!! I get so inspired by seeing all this creativity as well as reading fellow LWYW-ers blogs. Love it!

Sarah Davy posted about what she achieved during the first sew-a-long here.

Amazing what you can do when you set aside a bit of time. 

So same time next Tuesday! 

Looking forward to it already. ;-) 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Morwhenna ~ I love this blog, and this project and all the energy you put into it ~ so I have nominated you for a Liebster Award ~ read more on my blog here http://lemonloves.co.uk/appreciation/ :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow-ee WOW! Thank you Hilary! What a lovely thing for you to do! Thank you so much! ;-) ;-)

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.